Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thing #1 -- 7 1/2 Habits

In considering the "7 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners", I realized that Habit #2 - Accept Responsibility for Your Own Learning is almost intuitive for me.  As a child, I was a voracious reader, consuming books in order to know more and more and more.  Though I've been out of the classroom and away from formal learning experiences for a very long time, I have continued to read, research, ask questions, discuss and debate with people who will challenge my thinking and inspire me to grow. I know that choosing to go back to school right now will require all the drive I can muster.  No one else will push me as hard as I will.   This is my learning.

Habit # 6 - Use Technology to Your Advantage is easily the habit I will struggle with the most, at least initially.  I have never been naturally inclined toward technology and have been known to ask my kids for help with tasks as simple as texting and attaching pictures to email.  However, because I realize the importance technology plays in the education of students, and the ability to communicate with peers, parents and those same students, I have determined to work hard to "catch up" in the area of technology.

As I began to set up this blog, I felt a little bit like I was trying to "dog paddle" in the deep end of the pool. But it really hasn't been as hard as I imagined it would be, and I know I need to push through these feelings of inadequacy.  I can do this, and in the process, I can add some terrific tools to my toolbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment